Dover Care Closet

Hallie Lint, Staff Writer

If you have been paying attention to announcements at any point this school year, you most likely have heard about the Dover High School Care Closet. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the concept, a care closet is a room in the building that provides students with free clothes and toiletries if they need them. The care closet at Dover High School is a very new addition to the building. It has only been around for about six weeks, and it was started by Mrs. Altier, an outstanding history teacher, and Mrs. Grimm, one of our amazing guidance counselors. 

Mrs. Altier, a sophomore history teacher, had this to say about the care closet’s influence on our school, “I think it’s had a huge impact on a small group of students which we are hoping to expand.” The more students know about the care closet, the more likely they are to seek out assistance if they need anything. Mrs. Altier also added, “A lot of kids don’t have Dover clothes if they are not in a sport, so now a lot of kids can feel more like a part of the school because of Dover clothing.” Every student is entitled to the chance to be a part of our school’s community. With Dover clothing, students can participate in theme days and support the school in a way they might not have been able to before. Showing school spirit can help students feel that they belong and put worries about not fitting in at ease. 

I encourage every student and teacher to find a way to get involved with furthering the care closet. Mrs. Altier elaborated that the best ways to help are to donate clothes and toiletries and spread the word to as many people as you can. 

Items you can donate:

• Toiletries 
  • Clothes
    • New or gently used clothes
    • Socks
    • Hoodies or sweatshirts
    • Coats
    • Hats, gloves, scarves, etc.

Please get involved in this effort to provide much-needed necessities. If you bring in items to donate, you may take them either to Mrs. Altier or the counseling office. If you need something from the care closet, it is open every Tuesday after school on the third floor near the media center. Also, students can schedule a time during the day to shop with Mrs. Altier if they cannot come after school. The addition of the care closet has become an influential step in making Dover High School a better place.