The Big League

Allie Hisle, Staff Writer

Fall is here which means so are everyone’s favorite fall sports. Many people pass the time watching on the big screen or by purchasing tickets and viewing games in person. By far the most popular fall sport, football, kicked off on September 5th, 2019. Coined as America’s favorite past time, football warrants many different parties and get-togethers. People bring food, drinks, and friends to watch the game with. Football season brings about fantasy football and constant chat of things such as who drafted who, what team won, and which team is better than the other.

Watching professional sports teams play can be much more exciting than high school football. Here in Ohio, there are 3 main teams people typically choose to cheer for. From Cincinnati, Ohio are the Bengals; from Cleveland, Ohio are the Browns\; and from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania are the Steelers.

Recently, the Browns traded for Odell Beckham Jr, a wide receiver, and the fans have been very anxious to get him on the field. Long-time fans of the Browns know that 2002 was their last appearance at a playoff game. Many believe Odell Beckham Jr will lead the team to the playoffs for the first time in 17 years. “I can feel the excitement,” Odell says “To be a part of that, it is exciting for me.” People are excited to see the Browns, and all of their favorite teams, playing and hope that they make it to the finals.

Of course, many other sports are taking the stage soon as well, such as major league baseball. The MLB opening day for the 2019 season was on March 28th, this is the earliest opening day in history barring international openers. On opening day, all 30 MLB teams will play.

Similar to football, if you’re from Ohio there are a couple of different baseball teams to root for. MLB teams from Ohio include the Cincinnati Reds and the Cleveland Indians. Baseball is different than many other sports. Teams play 162 games per season or approximately 6 games per week. The teams are divided into 2 different leagues, the American League and the National League. Each league is divided into 3 divisions: East, Central, and West. The Indians play in AL Central while the Reds play in NL Central. The leagues used to be two separate, competing organizations, which is why there are two separate leagues in the first place.

Unlike football and baseball, many of the soccer teams people watch on television are international, but we do have local teams. One local team is the Columbus Crew SC, the other is FC Cincinnati. The MLS season runs from March to October and each team plays 34 games.

The Columbus Crew SC and FC Cincinnati both play in major league soccer. FC Cincinnati’s current score is 6 wins, 4 draws, and 22 losses for a total of 32 games. Columbus Crew SC’s current score is 9 wins, 8 draws, and 15 losses for another total of 32 games. While our local teams aren’t the best, there are many other teams to watch if you wish to be the die-hard soccer fan of a winning team.

The culmination of soccer, football, baseball, and any other major league sports one may watch this fall means there are plenty of games to be excited for. Be sure to catch your favorite football team on Sunday evenings, the best baseball team almost any day of the week, or the winning soccer teams before the season is over.