Club It Up

Club It Up

Aly Bauer, Staff Writer

It is a Friday morning and you are sitting in your homeroom, on your phone scrolling through Instagram. You are bored and miserable. You have stood for the pledge and tune out the morning announcements. Papers are passed out that always end up in the recycling bin on your way out the door. The teacher turns on the SmartBoard, projecting the list of places you can go. It is a common theme that you do not go to anything. You stay in the room and are still bored. But what if you gave that list a chance? What if there was a way to solve your boredom? Here, we will dive into a deeper description of the many clubs of DHS that can entertain you.

Want to learn a new game or show your competitive side? Try Chess Club! Chess Club meets in Mr. Sparks room. It is chance to challenge your brain with something other than math or science. Maybe even see if you can checkmate your opponent in just two moves…it is possible.

Want to know more about cultures around the world? Join CIA, the Club for International Awareness! CIA puts on a culture fair every year in the gymnasium, touching on many countries’ traditions. Being a member of the club, you can select a country, learn about it and share your findings with other people, and even miss a day of class! In addition, the club takes trips to experience other cultures, such as to the Pittsburgh Cathedral of Learning, where every room is designed to represent another country’s architecture.

Want to practice your Spanish speaking skills? Try Mano Amiga! This club is designed for ESL students and others to interact and develop friendships. In this club you can giggle at each other for maybe messing up a few words or speaking half a sentence in English and the other in Spanish. It is a great way to learn new vocabulary and step outside your comfort zone.

Want to work with children? The Interact club hosted by Mrs. Stratton, hosts Safety Town for elementary students. This program teaches children the importance of safety in the streets and allows them to explore the many departments of safety including the Fire Department. Bring a smile to the students faces while teaching them to be safe!

Want to give back to the community? Join Key Club, a community service based club! You can give back to the community for the many opportunities they provide you with by something as simple as flipping pancakes.

Do you like to draw or paint? Join Art Club! This club is a way for students to express their artistic talents. The Club participates in painting the front windows of shops in downtown Dover for the Halloween season, a great way to add color to the world. As well as many field trips to art museums to see the creations of others and obtain inspiration.

It is important to take advantage of the opportunities given to you. Try a club, it is never too late to join. Who knows, you might even have fun!