Lunch In a Crunch

Taylor Rose, Staff Writer

Staff at Dover High School’s lunch was cut short. I know as a student, lunchtime is by far the best time of day. You can interact with your friends and talk about your day. Lunch is the time not only to eat but to have a break. I had always wondered what the teachers had thought about their lunch period, so I decided to ask. The teachers here all work very hard throughout the day, and lunch is their only break away from students. I chose two teachers, Mrs.Rees and Mr. McKee to interview. I first asked Mrs.Rees for her thoughts:

What are your opinions on your lunch? (shortened Lunch period)

Her response: “ I don’t mind the shortened periods.  It forces me to plan a little better for my day”.

What would happen if you got caught up with a student and it shortened your lunch even more?

Her response: “I would not mind if I was helping a student.  That’s what we’re here to do”.

If you forgot to pack your lunch and you had to go get something from a fast-food restaurant and weren’t back in time would you get in trouble? Her response: “I couldn’t leave a class unattended, but there’s always the school cafeteria”.

I also asked Mr.McKee, a high school science teacher these same questions. 

His response: “I think that the lunch period is a little short, but I view this as a challenge. I make sure I pack foods that are easy to eat and make for a quick lunch”.

His response: “Every once in a while this happens. Then, I take it as a challenge and see how quickly I can eat my apple or sandwich. My record for eating an apple is 1:32”.

If you forgot to pack your lunch and you had to go get something from a fast-food restaurant and weren’t back in time would you get in trouble?

His response: “Yes, I have freshman class right after my lunch. Leaving students, especially freshmen in your classroom unattended is very worrisome. This would be very frowned upon by all involved. I keep a secret stash of pistachios in my room so I never have to run out. You know, like squirrels do”.

Mrs.Rees and Mr.McKee both had similar opinions to the questionnaire. Mr.McKee added his own personal spin to his responses. Despite our constant need to feed ourselves during lunch we tend to forget about our teachers’ opinions about it.