Valentine’s Day Overrated

Taylor Rose, Staff Writer

Valentine’s Day is a day full of love and affection for couples. But, from a single point of view, Valentine’s Day is overrated. The Only good part is when your friends or family get you some candy out of pity for feeling bad that you aren’t in a relationship. I am not even angry at that because it’s free candy. 

One of the biggest reasons why people dislike Valentine’s Day is because of all the posts couples take. You’ll see them all over social media such as Snapchat, Instagram, and even Facebook. Then, they’ll add a cheesy caption along the lines of ‘Luckiest person in the world’ or ‘So glad I’m dating my best friend’. Maybe you’re reading this and thinking, “well, I’m in a relationship, and I love Valentine’s Day,” but when you were younger, you only liked the day because you got to make those boxes and have your classmates fill it with treats.

I was the same way; you got to decorate the box, and you always tried to make it the best decorated out of everyone. If you’re like me and aren’t an affectionate person, Valentine’s Day is not going to be your favorite holiday. Maybe, your significant other loves to hug, but you don’t. That’s basically what the entire day’s about, love. In my opinion, I dislike Valentine’s Day because you shouldn’t need a specific day, once a year, to show affection to your significant other. 

Having that said, some might even feel obligated to have to participate on this day. If you haven’t noticed, most couples break up not long after Valentine’s Day. You can be independent and don’t have to worry about getting the other person gifts certain times a year. It’s also less stressful because all you have to worry about is yourself. 

Freshman Mycah Freeman says this, “ It’s literally just any other day except if you have a boyfriend or a significant other. Unless you’re in elementary school, and you get a free party with candy, it’s really not that exciting.” I also asked Freshman Charlie Reese her thoughts on Valentine’s Day; she says, “ I don’t really understand it. I get the concept of it, but why don’t people just celebrate their anniversaries?”

On Valentine’s Day, there are two types of people: the ones who are excited about it and absolutely love it and the ones who just think of it as just another day. Don’t get me wrong, the candy is great, but when you think about it, isn’t that why people have anniversaries, to celebrate their relationship? I don’t understand it; personally, Valentine’s Day to me is just another day in the month.